THINGS NEVER TO DO.
- Store images in a database without a really good reason.
- Store them in BLOB fields, rather than MEDIUMBLOBs or even LONGBLOBs.
- Preconvert them to ASCII, rather than native binary, and ignore that your database is Unicode, and will inflate the images to eight times their size.
- (Consequence, just so we’re clear: those images you’re storing now get cut off after 1.5 kilobytes, for no readily apparent reason. For comparison, your typical Flickr photo preview is over 50k.)
- Fail to document any of this.
- QUIT AND LEAVE ME TO FIX YOUR HORRIBLE HACKWORK.
Blaaah. I’m tired of computers. My hair is 10% whiter after today.